Friday, September 18, 2009

On Call 9/17

Hello all... here is a retelling of the 9/17 on-call.
The evening began slowly, I was in the office from 8-9 and Marcin hung out with me in the office for the hour and nothing really happened. I left and headed to my room afterwards to pass the evening by. Around 9:30 or so, one of my residents asked me if I had a printer she could use, because her's was not working correctly. I did not, but allowed her this one time to use the printer in the office to print out 3 pages of a paper.

After this, I went back to my room until 10 when I did my first round. The entire building was very quiet for the most part. I ended up seeing Molly just as I came through her tower, she had just returned for the evening. One of her residents was playing some loud music and she requested that it was turned down, and the residents complied. We chatted for a tad in the hall, then I left back to my room. I noticed that the garbage near A400 was still there in the corner, something will have to be done about that.

At 11:30 I did the second round, where the entire building was quiet, and the only thing that I found was that there was more garbage (in bags) outside of A201A/B, nobody was around. One of my residents was in the lounge watching TV and studying. 12:05 AM was my third round, everyone was quiet, just had to ask one room to lower their voices a bit. There were no other issues. At this point, around 12:45, I attempted to get ready to go to bed and THOUGHT that I might get to sleep for the night. Apparently, the night had other plans.

At around 1:30 AM, the building got very loud and I had to get up to see what was going on. As I left my room and was walking through the hall, the office phone rang and one of the RA's from Coddington informed me that there had been an altercation outside between the two buildings, and that 2 of their RA's were now in the Aldrich lobby and requested that I come downstairs to help out. I replied that I had to deal with what was going on upstairs and that I would be down as soon as I could. Walking over to A Tower, there were about 12 people in/outside of A300A with raised voices. I confronted them and asked what was going on, about 7-8 people left once they figured out who I was and didn't want to be involved. I made sure everything was OK in the room since everyone was very heated about something and arguing. I informed the remaining people in the room to be quiet; they were disturbing others.

I then went downstairs and the 2 RA's from Coddington let me know what was going on and let me know there was a 3rd RA from their building upstairs further addressing the situation in the B400 suite. We all went up to help her out, and I assume the situation was resolved. Not sure exactly of all the details; what happened in Aldrich was the tail-end of the incident and I just helped manage the ending. The Coddington staff thanked me for my assistance and went back to their building.

As I returned to my room at 1:45 AM, I got back into bed only for the office phone to ring again at 1:50. A girl told me she was locked out so I came down and unlocked her room C200C.

At 2:30 AM the building got very loud again, so I had to go back to the same room as earlier, A300A, and tell them to be quiet because they were disturbing me from my room in B tower, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one who could hear them. At 2:50 AM there were raised voices outside. I left my room again to go downstairs and met them as they were entering the building through the back door of B Tower, and told them to be quiet. One of the people in the group apologized and was trying to get everyone to calm down. I had to go back to A300A, where they were headed, a third time and at this point there were about 15 people inside. They hadn't quieted down from when I saw them just a minute before. I told them that there could be no more than 6 people in the room and that lots of people needed to leave. About 10 or so people left after I told them they needed to. At this point I also gave them a verbal warning about the noise, and told them that if I had to come back again that I would issue written warnings. One of the residents inside told me that he thought he might have broken his thumb, so I asked him if he needed me to call the ambulance or anything. He said no, but ice would have helped. Since I didn't have ice, I just told him to go to health services the next day and they could help him out.

I went back to my room at 3 AM and finally got to sleep around 3:15.

-Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Wowza...way to rock Ryan! It seems like A300A was giving you a lot of bull - don't be afraid in cases like this to give them only one verbal warning and then move on to a written, then an incident. No need for you to be polite at that time in the morning if they aren't being so themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete