Sunday, October 4, 2009

On Call 10/3

So last night was very interesting. Before my on call even began I had about 5 students come to my door and complain that they did not have access to the building. I did tell the students that I would look into it but if it continued to go to the access office on Monday to have the cards checked. It was not until I went down to the office when I received a phone call from Shelly, that I found out that the access on the campus was down. All the student were therefore locked out of the buildings. With this being said we had to put a sign up and advise the students to call the on call RA ( which = Me) to come let them in the building. Needless to say I should have had some serious caffeine before the night began. Between the time of 8-9:30 I probably spoke to and let in over 20 students. During the 9 o'clock hour Charles Hall called the office phone to let me know that the access would be back on at 10 o'clock. This was great news. Then 10 came and we still had no access. I did checks on the doors when students were coming to the door during that hour and throughout we still had not access. This continued on through the 11 o'clock hour. At some point during the 12 o'clock hour the access came back. I decided to just get comfortable on the couch in the lounge between 8-12:30 because the idea of running up and down from the 4th floor was brutal. Although this was a hassle of a situation, it did provide for a lot of interaction with residents.
On top of this I did also do rounds. I did rounds at 9:15, 11:00, and 12:00. The building was very quiet which I was prepared for because I had been watching them all leave the building for the past hours. During my 11 o'clock round I had to ask one room in C-Tower to lower their noise, and I also looked into some trash in the hall. Other than that the towers were very well behaved for a Saturday night.

What a bizarre night, thank god that was a one night only issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment